Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Long Way to Go

I was talking with Gabe a few months back about a comic I was writing. I must have seemed serious about this whole writing thing, because he says to me, "I'm going to WonderCon to pitch some stuff to Image, is there anything you want me to pitch for you?" I was surprised by at least three different things in that question, two of which I'll be completely ignoring.

Let me begin by stating that if someone asks if you want to pitch something to Image, the answer is "yes." So naturally, I told him, "no."

I have a laundry list of excuses I can use - long hours at work, wedding plans, VOID, prior obligations, but the real reason is I'm just not that confident in myself yet to attempt something on that scale.

By my watch, I'm a couple of years behind my friends that are now getting paying gigs from major publishers. That's fine - they've spent years honing their craft in various ways and are now ready to venture forth in the realm of big publishing houses, and all that that entails.

I, on the other hand, has spent the better part of a decade honing my web programming skills. Not that I'm complaining, I thoroughly enjoy what I do, and wouldn't change a bit of it. But, I only just decided last year to begin taking writing more seriously, and have since enrolled myself in a whole series of projects to get myself up to speed with my contemporaries as quickly as possible.

I've got at least two Zuda entries in me, and a handful of VOID comics in the pipeline. VOID, I'll be doing for love of the characters and site in general; a limited test bed for experimenting and learning, just like I've always pitched it to others. Win or lose, I'll probably stop with just the two Zuda entries. I secretly hope I don't win, but would obviously love it if I did... it's complicated. After that, I'll re-address my situation and see what comes next.

On Twitter I recently claimed 2010 will be a Year of Writing (hopefully, my first of many). I wish I could tell you about everything I have going on, but I'll keep my mouth shut and let the comics do the talking for me.

3 comments:

  1. I could probably replicate this blog entry of yours and make a few minor changes here and there that correlate to my situation. In many ways, we're in the "same place"...except that I have no writing pitches up my sleeve, Zuda or otherwise.

    I can say that, at least, I've finally started to aggressively write down all this fluff that's been up in my brains since 2004. Filling in all the gaps. All VOID-related. Yeah, I'm still holding on to all of that.

    Good luck, Keeks. I hope the future holds a lot of great things for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better to regret something you did do than something you didn't, in my opinion. If you really wanna be writing comics, jump in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah man you shoulda gone for the pitch! I'd give my left arm for a fair chance of pitching my story idea to Image. I get what you're saying though. Working in private is one thing but putting yourself out there can be hard. I'm always questioning how good my stuff is and think I can get better. I dont think thats a bad thing by any means but if you only question yourself and dont take the plunge then you'll just never know!

    ReplyDelete