Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Indie Corner - 9/24/2014

The Squidder

Each week I'll spotlight a couple independent books I've read and may have flown under people's radar.

THE SQUIDDER
I Kickstarted this and received the collected edition in the mail last week.  Issue four, if you're buying the singles, should be out either this week or next.  It's good; I like it.  Quick recap: Our dimension is being invaded by squid-like monsters, Earth creates modified human monsters to fight the squid.  The series takes place decades after humanity loses the war.  Typical Templesmith art, though the writing is more serious than Wormwood (Bonus recommendation: Check out Wormwood, it's awesome and funny).  Imagine a bad man in a bad world, just getting by, until someone gives him something to kill, and you won't be far off.  Sounds cliche, but I dug it.  Definitely recommended for any fans for Templesmith.

SAGA 23
Oh Saga, you break my heart.  Top-notch issue from cover-to-cover in which everyone shows what they're really made of.  If you're not reading this by now, I don't know what to say.  It's great, and also terrible because Vaughan and Staples are putting the cast through the wringer.  And I can't wait for my next dose.

SHUTTER 6
I have no idea where this series is going, but it's so full of surprises, gorgeous art, and believable characters, that I'm along for the ride.  This issue could be summed up with "Things go Awry" as basically nothing happens for anyone the way they'd planned it.  If the book focused a bit more on the characters and less on weird, mysterious things happening, it could easily have a following like Saga.  I recommend anyone into weird, mysterious things and gorgeous art to check out the first issue and see if it grabs you.  Spoiler alert: issues 2 - 6 have more of the same.

SAMURAI JACK 12
The opening arc of Samurai Jack was fantastic.  Great first issue, I had high hopes.  The arc ended sooner than I expected, and subsequent issues haven't quite lived up to the original high standard.  Until now.  Jack's sword lies broken, Aku knows it, and Jack's in some serious trouble.  I'm sure this will read much better as an eventual trade, since much of this issue is still set-up, but it's still great.  My only issue is that it's over so quickly.

ROCHE LIMIT 1
While the book has an interesting premise (think Babylon 5 without the aliens), none of the characters are likable and there's not enough story to get me to come back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment