Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Last Week's Comics Today - 10/18/2016

I wasn't sure what was going to get Pick of the Week this go 'round.  Books seemed close and I thought it might be another multiple winner week...
until I read Black Monday Murders on lunch Monday.  I haven't stopped thinking about it since.  A fantastic combination of words and art with enough story to really sink your eat into.

Pick of the Week
Black Monday Murders #3 - This is an oversized book.  Also, it's dense, but not in the Alan Moore, impenetrable kind of way.  There's a lot going on here and a lot to digest.  This issue takes place almost entirely within an interrogation room.  It's basically a series of conversations, with brief punctuations of violence.  It's a hard book to broadly recommend because it's going to turn certain people off.  But it's good.
 
Honorable Mention
Moon Knight #7 Stokoe draws combat with space wolves, Francavilla draws a confused cab driver.  What do these things have to do with Moon Knight?  You've perhaps heard he suffers from some psychological issues?  This series is really good and you should be reading it.

Kill Or Be Killed #3 I've talked before about how real this book feels, but I don't think I properly explained that at the time.  So much of the book happens in the main character's head, narrating his own thought processes.  And it's like Brubaker can hear my thoughts.  Not about killing people to stay alive, but the way he thinks.  A few months back I learned the word "catastrophizing" and I've been thinking it or using it ever since.  It perfectly describes the way I think most of the time and it's how Dylan thinks too.  It's refreshing to see.  The story is good, so's the art, and I recommend it.

Briggs Land #3 - This marks the end of the first arc.  I'm not real clear on what constitutes the arc here, as everything still seems pretty up in the air or in progress, but if pressed, I'd guess it's Grace's position becoming solidified... even if still under threat.  It's good and should make for excellent television.  Or, if you don't want to wait, just start reading the book now.  I hope this gets a 60+ issue run.  

Everything else
The Fix #6 - I'm starting to think this is a book like Sex Criminals, where it's really more about a cast of characters than any particular plot.  There was a plot, in the early issues, and what seemed like a high pressure time frame in which to complete a given task.  But that hasn't been touched on in a few issues and the book has moved to a new plot.  The book remains good, and certainly entertaining, though not as tight as it once was. 
 
Jupiter's Legacy 2 #4 - "The best laid plans of mice and men..."  Things go wrong this issue (though I guess that depends on your perspective).  And things wrap up next issue.

Sheriff Of Babylon #11 I didn't talk about Jupiter's Legacy, and now I'm not talking about this.  Series conclusion next issue.  This continues to be good, though I've said that about every issue.

Unfollow #12 Some major moves are made this issue by three cast members.  Which is all I'm going to say.  This book continues to prove Vertigo's worth.

Wonder Woman #8 Cheetah vs Dr. Barbara Ann Minerva.  That doesn't actually happen, since they're the same person, but it's something I've been thinking about these past few issues.  Cheetah in the present is radically different from the Dr. Minerva we've seen.  It's fascinating and I really want to know more about how she went from one to the other.  I want to see that transition.  And now, I want to see if she can transition back from Cheetah to Dr. Minerva given the end of the previous issue.  Note: I thoroughly enjoy the art of Everly and think she's the perfect person to take over when Scott leaves the title.  Couldn't have made a better choice.

Gotham Academy Second Semester #2 - New mystery!  Not so friendly friends!  Olive's a bit distracted with her new roommate while the rest of the gang are looking for mysteries... when one naturally pops up.  Kids in peril, kids trying to save other kids, adults not believing kids about said peril... might sound like a formula, but this series is fantastic.  It's so full of life with believable characters, plenty of ancillary Bat-cast members, and great art.  It continues to be a highlight and delight.  

All Star Batman #3 - There's a really good line in this about the cure Batman is seeking for Two-Face.  What if it really eliminates Harvey and leaves only Two-Face?  In that same conversation, Two-Face mentions some retconning done earlier in the issue with Bruce and Harvey in their youth.  I'm generally against retconning because the thing being added is almost never as good as the writer thinks it is.  I find that to be the case here.  Bonus: There's an appearance by the Royal Flush Gang that's as amazing as it is hilarious.  Also brief.

Lumberjanes Gotham Academy #5 Lumberjanes vol. 4 recently came out.  I didn't write anything about it at the time and I don't think I've written anything about Lumberjanes in general (hint: I like it a lot!).  But with Gotham Academy starting up again and a new Lumberjanes trade to refresh my memory, it made me realize these series are better apart than together.  I haven't even read this issue yet, it's just something I've wanted to say for a while.  Things happen, I'm sure.  It wraps up next issue and I won't be getting the trade.  That's all I'm saying.

Reborn #1 Have you ever been watching a movie, and the thing is written as if trailers don't exist?  As if marketing in general doesn't exist?  Writing "surprises" into the first half hour or hour that were revealed six months ago?  That's how this is written.  THE NAME OF THE BOOK IS 'REBORN'!  Why spend the first half of issue one talking about all the main character's friends and family that have died and how how she doesn't believe in an afterlife?  It's all wasted until we get to the actual start of the book.  The art is nice, I guess.  I'd say I'll get the second issue and see where things go, but I've said that a few times recently and haven't actually done it.  So, we'll see.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #63 Splinter is keeping secrets from the brothers - much like Leo kept attacking the Technodrome secret from him some issues back.  It's a very "Oh, snap!" moment when that's pointed out.  At least one other secret is revealed on the last page, though I have to wonder how many others are left to be revealed.  The secrets seem to be driving a wedge between Splinter and the brothers, leading to my wild prediction of them breaking away from Splinter while he continues to lead the Foot.  I don't know!  This book always surprises me and I love it.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Universe #2 - I missed this last week.  Or, two weeks ago at this point.  There's a kind of 80s movie, Die Hard feel here as our cast fight within a building while a police presence grows outside just waiting to take everyone down by force.  If you like the main title, you should probably be getting this.  If you haven't read the main title but want to try IDW Turtles without starting in the mid-60s, grab the first issue.  Or grab this one - the story hasn't advanced so far you you'll be lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment