Sunday, March 5, 2017

Last Week's Comics Today - 03/05/2017

It's a great week for indies as I've already added three #1s from the week to my pull list.  I mentioned in one of my posts last week that Edena is the best thing I'm reading, but I can't write about it until I'm done.  That continues to hold true.  It's glorious.

Pick of the Week
Extremity #1 - I suspect this book is going to put Daniel Warren Johnson on the map.  I thought the art looked familiar but I couldn't place it until I looked him up - he did Ghost Fleet.  Which basically no one read.  I thought it had hints of James Harren from some of the action here.  Anyway, the book is really good.  It's about revenge, and fear, and grief, and living up to expectations and there's flying bikes, and floating islands, and a robot hand, and a weird tooth mask, and a bird eating out of some dude's empty eye socket.  I'd say, "Recommended for people that like 'Title X'." except I'd have to list dozens of things to properly cast a net wide enough.  Instead, just pay your $3.99 and buy a copy yourself.

Honorable Mention
Paper Girls #12 - Congratulations!  ~ sad trombone ~    That won't make any sense unless you've read the issue.  This book continues to put a smile on my face every issue.  I love the art, love the writing.

Royal City #1 - The conundrum is where to put this.  I'm confused by what I just read, which means it doesn't earn the top spot this week... but I kinda like the confusion.  And at the same time, it's my fault..?  Maybe I should actually blame Lemire, but I'm sure I'm at least partially to blame since I thought the old guy at the beginning was the same as the guy in the car when I turned the page.  I thought the whole thing was an extended flashback.  So that's part of it and the other part is Tommy.  That's the confusion I like.  Recommended for fans of Underwater Welder.

Savage Things #1 - Note: The interior art is better than the cover.  Maybe it's just me, but I got a bit of a Ales Kot's Zero vibe - the early issues, before everything went off the rails.  I do wonder if at any point during the secret governmental meeting that decided to take child sociopaths and turn them into super-agents, if anyone raised their hand and asked, "But what if it all goes horribly wrong?"  Maybe this is their contingency.  Only way to know for sure is to keep reading.

Everything Else
Justice League #16 - The brakes get pumped from the fast-paced insanity of last issue for a lot of explanations and vague hints at things still to come.  It works better than the prior sentence makes it sound.  Just three things: 1) Hitch references another DC book! (does it still count if it was his own previous series?) 2) Every time a character mentions a "storm" - in this case referring to the time-attack that's going on - I think, "A Wild Storm??"  (probly not) 3) The Timeless should have been designed to look a little different than baby-faced Brainiacs.

Moon Knight #12 - Much like the new Legion show on FX, I'm constantly wondering how much of this is happening in reality vs only in the lead's head.  Here, Marc teams up with Moon Knight, as well as his other personalities to free a goddess.  Also, there's a B plot that involves an old villain that I'm completely unfamiliar with because I've only read the recent Moon Knight.  I suspect Lemire has an end in mind for the series as it seems to have been leading to a single confrontation since the beginning.  I'll be sticking around to see it.

Superman #18 - This is one long inciting incident.  Despite all my trash-talk toward Jurgens and vow not to read Action Comics for this crossover... I'm kinda curious.  Maybe because not enough happened here to satisfy, or maybe because things were left so open I'd like to know what's actually going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment