Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Indie Corner - 07/23/2013

Indie Corner
Each week I'll (hopefully) spotlight a couple independent books I've read and may have flown under people's radar.

GHOSTED
Interesting, though too early to tell if it's my thing or not.  Most of the first issue was spent establishing the main character, being given a job, and assembling his team.  Character introductions all-around.  Will definitely be checking out the next issue, and will decide from there.

INVINCIBLE
Dan and I always speculate on what will happen next in Invincible.  We're always wrong, because Kirkman is full of surprises, and this issue proves that in spectacular fashion.  Eve and Angstrom, Invincible vs Invincibles... fantastic.

TMNT: ALOPEX
I take every opportunity to talk about the IDW Turtles series, because I love it.  The main series is great, and the micro series expands the world while simultaneously further developing characters.  They're perfect companions.  Here, we finally learn about Alopex, the white fox that's been showing up since practically the beginning.  And, oh man, those that three panels.

DAY MEN
Kind of a dense issue, and I mean that in the best possible way.  Some books you can read in a matter of minutes and quickly forget.  For a first issue, there's plenty here to latch onto.  Mystery, action, non-sparkly vampires, and both the main character and the series' world in general are well fleshed out here.  I'll definitely be picking up the next few issues.

HALF PAST DANGER
World War II, Nazis, a secluded Pacific island, and dinosaurs.  Issue three was out last week, but I actually read all three issues over the weekend.  I'd been buying it, with the expectation it would be good, but hadn't actually read any yet.  It's good, though the art could be a little better, particularly the faces.  Pulpy goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment