Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Indie Corner - 07/31/2013

Indie Corner
Each week I'll spotlight a couple independent books I've read and may have flown under people's radar.

LAZARUS
Six-Gun Gorilla #2 (of 6)

Wow, I think I'm in this for a long haul.  No decision yet on whether to switch to trades, like +Charles Dowd or not, but it's good.  Much like Uncanny, further down, this issue is more mystery than answer, but the difference is - I don't care.  Here, I'm willing to wait for the answers because the family drama is so well written I'm already hooked.  You definitely check it out.

SIX GUN GORILLA
Issue two is even better than issue one.  Ridiculous things are afoot.  Beautiful, well-written, ridiculous things.  Recommended for anyone interested in comics on the fun side.

GHOSTBUSTERS
I don't have a whole lot to say about this issue, except that I wish there were more issues to read.  This spends most of its time wrapping up the current story thread, but does manage to show snippets of what's to come.  Afterward, I found myself hoping for a TMNT- or MLP-style micro series, just to get more content in my hands.

ROCKETEER & SPIRIT: PULP FRICTION
If you think about it at all, you can probably guess exactly what happens in this first issue.  Criminals in Central City and LA are working together, necessitating the need for the Spirit and Rocketeer to meet-up.  Misunderstanding leads to fisticuffs, leads to begrudging team-up.  But we're talking about Mark Waid, so it's a wonderful pulp-y read.  And the art perfectly matches these two heroes.

UNCANNY
I read one review that said issue two isn't as good as issue one, and I find myself in agreement.  It's okay, but we get more mysteries and no answers.  Unsure where this book is headed, but I'll stick around for another issue or two to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment