Monday, November 10, 2014

Indie Corner - 11/05/2014


Each week I'll spotlight a couple independent books I've read and may have flown under people's radar.

SPREAD 4
The last page features No saying, "Yes."  My grin from seeing that hasn't faded yet, but it has washed away some of the creepier aspects of the issue.  It struck me this issue that Spread is like Walking Dead if you skip the first 100 or so issues.  Humans are living in clusters around charismatic leaders, but the underlying reasserts itself at the worst possible moment for maximum impact.  This book is glorious, and disgusting, and I love it.

Tooth & Claw 1
TOOTH & CLAW 1
It's unfortunate that I'm currently writing a fantasy comic starring a diverse cast of anthropomorphic animals... because that's what Tooth & Claw is, and it's really good.  I knew I was in trouble early on, with the amount of world-building going on by page six.  It only gets more brilliant and expansive from there.  It's 48 pages, no ads, and $2.99.  I've already added it to my pull list.

BIRTHRIGHT 2
The family gets reunited, more or less.  But how that happens causes things to get a little violent.  Also, more is shown of the other world, and specifically what happens just after Mike arrives there.  I find the scenes on this world compelling, but don't especially care about the other world.  What I'd like to know is what immediately proceeded Mike's return, but I fear that won't be revealed for some time.  Still, it's a solid title.

MEN OF WRATH 2
We're given a bit more Rath family history, and a lot of information on just what Ruben did to get into so much trouble.  That's about all I can say about this brutal, gripping book.  Fans of Aaron's Southern Bastards should definitely give it a chance.

DAY MEN vol 1
Here's the setup: vampires have too much power and money to leave it all to chance while they sleep during the day.  Enter Day Men, employed by vampires to look after their interests, move about in the human world, and generally do whatever needs doing.  It's a vampire book that's not really about vampires.  The writing is tight, the art is great, and reading it collected means you don't have to wait long periods between issues like I originally did.  Issue 5 of the series also hit stands last week.

THE WAKE
Wow.  So, I just finished reading this in basically two sittings.  First half yesterday and the second half today.  A lot of people read this as singles, but I stopped after issue two when I realized I'd rather have this on my shelf than tucked away in a box.  The story is good, as Scott Synder stories are.  It's a huge story about adventure, exploration, and a dozen other themes.  The art is simply amazing, spanning from boundless and vibrant to deeply claustrophobic.  Recommended to anyone that's a fan of Snyder or Murphy.

No comments:

Post a Comment