Monday, November 17, 2014

Indie Corner - 11/12/2014

Each week I'll spotlight a couple independent books I've read and may have flown under people's radar.

COPPERHEAD 3
I didn't time it, but this felt like a quick read.  Likely, because there was a mostly silent five-page pursuit sequence.  Sheriff Bronson isn't getting any answers and she's not happy.  Meanwhile, Boo gets a piece of information that could actually break things open, from the least likely cast member.  The book is still good, but this issue is just kinda there, moving the story the tiniest bit.  It's likely just a mid-arc bump in the road before things get moving again toward the conclusion.  At least I hope that's what it is.

Drifter 1
DRIFTER 1
The series was described as "featur[ing] the dark revenge themes of Unforgiven with the mind-bending universe-building detail of Dune."  If that's true, it's not evident in the first issue.  The first few pages are quite interesting, but from then on the main character is a complete dick to literally everyone and entirely unlikable.  By the time the twist ending came about, I'd stopped caring.  Very disappointing for a series I'd been looking forward to.

THE LIFE AFTER 5
While reading this I was thinking, "The preview pages gave half this story away already!"  Only, not really.  The preview pages were actually the middle of the book, and context is everything.  Plus, there's everything that happens after that, which is pretty significant.  Jude and Hemingway have a new mission and the cover to next issue makes a helluva lot more sense now than it did when it was first solicited.  While I have no idea where the story is going, I'll be along for the ride.

DEEP STATE 1
This is a weird issue.  A lot happens, and most of it through exposition.  There's a "men in black" joke in there, but it's actually rather fitting.  Seasoned agent in the secrets business needs a new agent, recruits a woman with a bit more curiosity than sense.  Throw in some the space race, moon landing, and a mysterious entity, and you've got equal parts Men In Black and X-Files.  While I'm interested to see where the story might be going, this isn't the Justin Jordan I'm used to.

RESURRECTIONISTS 1
Third number one this week and third strike out.  Resurrectionists seems to focus on people harnessing the memories and abilities of their past lives.  Even though there's exponentially more people alive now than ever before.  But whatever.  The fight sequence at the beginning of the issue reminded me of the Five Ghosts series of Image.  I think I'll stick with that instead.

WYTCHES 2
We get a lot more story this issue compared to the last, and the creeping dread starts right from the beginning with discussion of "the lump."  Sailor and Lucy are both losing it, whether from visions or memories, while dad and Reggie struggle to keep up.  Definitely a bizarre, creepy, yet good book.  I'll be sticking around for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment