Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Indie Corner - 08/14/2013

Sheltered 02
Each week I'll spotlight a couple independent books I've read and may have flown under people's radar.

CYBER FORCE
I've been a fan of Cyber Force since the beginning, and will be the first to admit its been a rough couple of decades. I still think the premise and team are a story worth telling, though I'm not sure this series is it. I Kickstarted this, way back when, but this isn't the series I was hoping for. I'll pick up one more issue to see where this is going but I think the damage might already be done. Check out the Cyber Force / Hunter-Killer series from a few years ago instead. That book was awesome.

SHELTERED
Hysteria all around as things begin to fall apart. This is a taught, high-tension, relatively quick read. It's grabbed me and hasn't let go. Recommended.

ROBOCOP: LAST STAND
Less happens than I would have liked, but the stage is set by the end of the issue. That may just be the nature of a six-issue mini series. Fortunately, we see Robocop... and he seems to delight in punching his way through things to grab people. I'll at least check out the next issue to see where this is going.

THE LEGEND OF LUTHER STRODE
I don't know which of the creators came up with the human water fountain, but it's both disgusting and beautiful. This issue wraps the current storyline while setting up the next on its final pages. It's good, as all Luther Strode issues are, but those images are going to haunt me for awhile. I recommend the eventual trade.

TRILLIUM
I finally read this last night and can say... it's alright. I'm surprised by all the praise this book has recieved since largely nothing happens. It's vaguely reminiscent of Aronofsky's The Fountain , and that's about all I have to say. I'll stick around for a few issues to see where this is going but was expecting more after everything I'd heard.

SATELLITE SAM
I'm still enjoying this Sorkin-esque read, though from the comments I've seen, many people dropped off after the first issue. For me, I think the series would read better in trade form so I can keep better track of the many characters and their personal agendas, though there's a character page at the front that does an excellent job of this.

The only book I didn't get to read this week was Ten Grand, so I'll get that next week.  I may post and back-date some more of these later since I've been doing it for a few weeks on Google+.

No comments:

Post a Comment