Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Indie Corner - 08/28/2013


Each week I'll spotlight a couple independent books I've read and may have flown under people's radar.

TMNT: KARAI
TMNT Micro Series: Karai
This is what I've been wanting!  We've been watching Karai a long time, and in this issue hints finally turn into confirmations.  Karai making plans, Karai versus Leo, ugh, it's so good.  Every new issue I state the Turtles series is great.  This is another fine example.  And issue 25 of the main series out Wednesday!

100 BULLETS: BROTHER LONO
As a writer, I both love and hate Azzarello.  He's so damn good.  Not a whole lots happens this issue, but pieces are coming together, everything gets fleshed out a bit, and the signature styles of Azzarello and Risso are all over this.  If I had to, I'd recommend skipping the series and waiting for the trade.  This will read much better that way.

CONAN
I'd never read a Conan comic before Wood started this series.  When I was announced I walked into my local shop and said, "I heard Wood and Cloonan are doing a Conan book.  I need that."  Becky didn't stick around, and Wood's time ends at issue 25.  I find myself dreading the end in ways I never expected.  Conan and Belit are amazing together, and this issue is a great example of that.  A new adventure begins here, but there's only a few more issues until it's all over.

CHEW vol. 7.
I love this series.  The ridiculousness, the characters, the tiny things hidden in the backgrounds of panels.  Volume 7 moves some things forward in a big way.  Olive, Savoy, the Vampire, and even Tony himself.  Lots going on, and ramping up to even bigger things down the line.  I basically recommend this series to everyone I encounter.

CHIN MUSIC
This book could really benefit from a "Previously..." info box.  There's some things that happen in this issue, but I'd have to go back and re-read the first issue to understand any of it.  I thought I'd be able to do just that before posting this, but then came down with some sort of fever/exhaustion that's wiped me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment