Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Indie Corner - 09/04/2013


Each week I'll spotlight a couple independent books I've read and may have flown under people's radar.

LAZARUS 3
So much done with so little.  There's a number of silent or nearly silent panels here, but each conveys volumes.  Family machinations going on at every level and all of it is perfect.  Seriously, I can't praise this book enough.  Easily my favorite new series.

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 25
With the number of things that happen in this book, I will surprise myself by saying this is a bit of a breather before the storm.  The last few issues have been nuts and I've loved every second.  This issue moves a huge number of pieces on the board - Hob and Splinter, Casey's dad, Casey and April, Raph goes nuts for a bit, there's a call-back to the annual, the Savant return, there's something up with Leo, the list goes on and on.  And that doesn't even include the last page insanity.  Things are about to explode in a major way.  I recommend you get on board.

UNCANNY 3
I came into this expecting Hellblazer-Diggle or Losers-Diggle, but issue three has turned the series into... Heroes?  I don't know.  Higher level players than our protagonist are introduced, but I'm finding it very hard to care.  This will be the last issue I pick up.

COLLIDER FBP: FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS 2
This book is nuts, and I completely love it.  Before issue one, the solicit text had me slightly concerned because it sounded like _Fringe_ which didn't exactly go well, but it's totally not that.  There's insane sci-fi stuff going on with beautiful art, but really there's believable characters, a deepening mystery and killer cliffhangers.  Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment