Monday, December 15, 2014

Indie Corner - 12/10/2014

Each week I'll spotlight a couple independent books I've read and may have flown under people's radar.

COPPERHEAD 4
The investigation is slowly going... somewhere, but that doesn't even matter.  This issue has some truly fantastic character moments and a chase scene that's vastly superior to the one from last issue.  After reading the first issue, I mentally gave this series until issue four to prove itself to me.  Things are trending up.  It could move things along a little faster, but I'm sticking around.

Bitch Planet 01
BITCH PLANET 1
I had no idea what to expect from this book.  I kept hearing, "women's prison... in space!"  Or comparisons to Orange is the New Black, which I haven't seen, so that wasn't helpful.  Most recently, I saw a comment about "Stepford" which now makes a heckuva lot more sense.  You've likely heard things too, and they were probably just as meaningless.  So lemme just say this: It's a good book.  If you like good books, you should check this out.  I know I'll be reading more.

LITTLE NEMO: RETURN TO SLUMBERLAND 3
Near the end of Locke & Key, it was announced that Gabriel Rodriguez had been signed as the first and only artist exclusive to IDW.  For those unfamiliar with his work, this issue proves why signing him was such a smart move.  I can't imagine what the script for this issue was like, but it's a feast for the eyes from start to finish.  An outstanding issue in a series I'd been unsure about.

SAMURAI JACK 15
This arc ended the only way it possibly could.  Knowing that the entire time, I still found myself concerned both at the end of last issue and at the beginning of this one.  When the tide does finally turn - as it inevitably would - it was awesome.  I have no idea what's in store for the next arc, but I eagerly await it.

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 41
The title to this arc is "Attack on Technodrome."  It's been building to this for literally years.  By the end of this issue, every piece is in place.  We're about to witness the clash of at least three agendas, possibly more (Hob!).  There's no way to tell what's going to happen, but I suspect things will get worse before they get better.

GHOSTBUSTERS v9: Mass Hysteria Part 2
This marks the end of the series, and I will definitely miss it.  I keep flipping through the trade instead of writing about it.  What can I say?  That whenever I would read this comic, I would hear the actor's voices in my head?  That whatever happens to the franchise, if Burnham is writing, I'll be buying?  That, much like Ninja Turtles, any fan should check it out?  It's all true.  The end is rather surprising, and that's literally all I'm going to say about what happens.  Do yourself a favor.  Buy the whole series.

No comments:

Post a Comment