Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Last Week's Comics Today - 9/7/2016

Pick of the Week
Tokyo Ghost #10 - An amazing finish to a great series. I had no idea how this was going to wrap up, but I never would have expected it to go down like that. Echo's of Synder and Murphy's The Wake at the end. I'll get the collection either way, but I'm hoping this gets a hardcover because I'll be shelving it next to The Wake.

Honorable Mentions:
Paybacks #1 and Paybacks #2 - It took a while to track down the first issue, but it was totally worth it. And I'm extremely glad I had the second issue in-hand already, because that's a helluva cliffhanger at the end of the first. The story continues from the previous Dark Horse series, but so far no repossession going on. The team has larger issues to worry about, though there's no shortage of action. Recommended for anyone looking for something different than the usual spandex heroes.

Just as I was about to drop annuals due to lackluster stories that didn't connect to the regular book, DC puts out two great ones. While Rebirth is doing well, both of these titles were highlights of the New52 and short-lived DC You. And it's still true now.





Gotham Academy Annual #1 - I love DC's attempts to bring Batman Beyond continuity to the current universe. Synder did this a little during his Batman run, and more is done here. If only Batman Beyond were being written by a better author... oh well, this is good and you should read it.

DC Comics Bombshells Annual #1 - Bombshells is a bit like Injustice. For a series based on statues, expectations should be low. And yet, while no one was looking, a really well done comic is being made. Writing and art are both great. If you're even remotely interested, I suggest giving it a try.

Everything else
Aliens Defiance #4 - I think this series will read better once it's collected into a single 12-issue book. That's not to say it's bad, but it's set to a slower pace than typical monthly books. Collected, this should have the time to unravel the building emotions without a four-week break between installments.

Future Quest #4 - I don't have a lot to say - it's a good issue. The cast continues to grow as the threat develops while protagonists and their traditional antagonists begin to get closer to one another. Action and nostalgia in a well presented package.

Jupiters Legacy 2 #3 - Sort of the opposite of Empress. Where Empress is all action and very little character work, this issue is heavy on characters with little action. The rest of the series has been more balanced and I expect next issue to go heavy on action based on the ending here.

Predator Vs Judge Dredd Vs Aliens #2 - I liked the first issue, but this is much better. Full-on Alien, Predator, and Dredd, just like the title suggests, plus some mutant action on the side.

Saga #37 - An okay issue. Truthfully, I like the ends of Saga arcs, when characters and storylines come crashing together in unexpected ways, better than the beginnings. Still, it's off to a good start.


Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Universe #1 - A pretty action-packed issue that tied into previous mini-series. That said, I'm not sure how good of a jumping-on point this is for new readers, but the series should prove very rewarding for readers of the main title. Also, I know what's going on in the back-up because I read an interview with Eastman. Had I not, it would have been very strange indeed. Hopefully things become more apparent in future issues.

Transformers #56 - I honestly don't remember much about this issue. Something about Sentinel Prime fighting Alpha Trion and GI Joe now being in charge of human forces. It was okay, but I'm ready for Revolution to get here so it can be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment